Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 57 year old woman. Lately I have had episodes of

Customer Question
I am a 57...

I am a 57 year old woman. Lately I have had episodes of shortness of breath and 'feeling' my heart beat. Last week there was a day where I had severe pain in left arm. I know these are symptoms of heart attacks but I don't feel bad. Could these be warning signs that I am about to have one in the near future?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No more than normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My dad died of heart disease

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. Greg
Dr. Greg, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** would be happy to assist you with your health concerns today. Please allow me a few minutes to review and respond to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well lately.

You are correct that your symptoms are concerning for a possible heart attack, or angina (which is a sign of a pending heart attack). I would recommend that you go to a local urgent care if your symptoms recur.

It's important to note that most symptoms associated with a heart attack, are not "severe", but tend to be mild or moderate to most people. While this doesn't mean that you are having a heart attack, the lack of severe symptoms isn't always reassuring.

Factors that increase a person's risk for a heart attack include:

- Age greater than 55 for females (greater than 45 for males)

- High blood pressure

- High cholesterol

- Diabetes

- Overweight / Obesity

- Tobacco use (i.e. cigarette smoking)

- Excessive alcohol consumption

- Family history of your mother suffering from heart disease prior to age 65, or your father prior to age 55.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I sincerely ***** ***** I've answered your questions sufficiently. Please feel free to rate my service. If any additional questions arise, please let me know. Have a good night.