Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My anal are is moist and itchy. Hydrocortisone got rid of…

Customer Question
My anal are is...

My anal are is moist and itchy. Hydrocortisone got rid of the itch, however, the moisture or wetness persists and it's driving me crazy.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

About a year for the itch. Six months for the wetness. The itch is gone after using hydrocortisone, but the wetness persists..

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I'm pretty active and healthy.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/30/2018
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago
Connie Pennington

Hello. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a colorectal surgeon. I think I can help you.

How old are you? What gender?

61, male
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

How are your bowel movements? Regular? Daily? Soft, firm or hard?

regular and daily
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

Excellent. Do you feel as if you have complete emptying after a bowel movement. The most common cause of anal itching is a small amount of residual stool at the anal verge.

Do you ever notice any stool staining in your underclothes?

Itching is gone after treating with hydrocortisone. Daily wetness is my concern. Usually more so when I'm active or when it's warm outside. Even though the rest of my body is not sweeting, I experience the moisture or wetness around the anal area. I wipe the area and the fluid is clear or has a slight yellow tint to it. This is after I have showered....
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

OK. Hydrocortisone is good for short term use, but not long term as it thins the skin and causes a lot of irritation. Moisture is usually from the anus, a slightly prolapsed hemorrhoid that has slid down the anal canal enough to secrete clear mucus on the outside, or slight anal leakage--that can happen when the internal anal muscle relaxes, such as when you get hot--after a shower, hot bath, working outside, etc. Also sitting on the toilet to long for a bowel movement (more than 2 minutes) will cause pelvic floor relaxation and then the pelvis slowly returns to a normal position after you get up, and that causes a little secretion to squeeze out. You might want to see a colorectal surgeon for an anal exam and anoscopy to look for these things. I hope that helps! Is there anything else?

I just had a routine colonoscopy. Would that have discovered any related issues? Is an anoscopy different than a colonoscopy?
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

It is more through and looks more toward the outside. I am glad you had a colonoscopy though, that is good. Anal moisture is common in men over 60. There are some pelvic floor exercises that can help through a physical therapist. You can also tuck a napkin/ or 4X4 gauze, or a little 2X2 gauze into the area to keep it dry.

Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

Sometimes a little anal fistula can cause wetness, and needs to be ruled out if symptoms persist. I would see a colorectal surgeon if you can. I hope that helps! I am happy to answer any other questions!

Do you feel the issue can be resolved or will it be something I have to live with.
Doctor: Connie Pennington,
 replied 3 months ago

If there is a reason for it, like an anal fistula, hemorrhoid, etc. then yes it can be resolved! You may have to live with seasonal "sweating" if that is the cause. Best to get checked out! I would not want you to suffer if it can be fixed!

Going fishing with my dad, will check back later friend! Good luck!