Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have a severe sinus infection and sore throat again...can…

Customer Question
Have a severe sinus...

Have a severe sinus infection and sore throat again...can you help me?

Doctor's Assistant: When did the sore throat begin? Have you used any medication for it?

A few days ago, just gargling with salt water and chloraseptic spray, which doesn't work too well

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the sore throat?

No..I am out of my coverage area

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a sinus infection a month or so ago...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/30/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

How old are you?

Any nasal congestion? Drainage from your nose? Difficulty smelling? Facial pressure?

Are you eating regular food?

Any fevers?

62 yrs old, Yes I have nasal congestion, pressure and drainage..hard to smell and spitting up lots of brownish mucus.I eat regular food and have no fever

OK, it definitely sounds like you have a sinus infection and may need antibiotics. Is there any way you can see a doctor?

No thank you

OK, well I can give you some tips to try to help you, but ultimately, you may need antibiotics.

First thing is you need to get nasal saline spray and use 2 sprays in each nostril 3-5 times a day.

The next thing is buy flonase nasal spray and use 1 spray twice a day.

You can also use Sudafed to help with the nasal congestion if you do not have any heart or blood pressure issues.

Mucinex will help clear the mucus.

Rest and hydration will be most important as well.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

I have tried all those things...

You have to be consistent with the flonase, which can be very helpful.

Otherwise, if these don't work I recommend seeing a doctor as you likely need antibiotics to help clear the infection.