Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

During the night I got a severe gout flare up my doctors…

Customer Question
During the night I...

During the night I got a severe gout flare up my doctors office is closed today I can. Barely walk or touch my foot I take blood pressure meds and levithiroxon for hypothyroidism is there something I can take for this awful pain? Until I can see my doc

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Losartonpotassiam 1 50mg. Metoprolol 2 50mg. Levithiroxon 1. 112mcg hydrochloric. 1 25mg that's it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No my dad and uncle had gout too

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/30/2018
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. Do you have any gout medications at home? Colchicine for example?

If you don't have that, NSAIDs like naproxen or ibuprofen are the next step, as long as your kidney function is normal. You can take two naproxen twice a day or four ibuprofen every 8 hours, but you have to take them with food and stay hydrated.

When your doctor is available, get a prescription for colchicine, which you can use to combat flares!

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Can you write a prescription for colchicine for me as my doc is not back til Monday I also have a few Percocet left from a previous injury 325mg would that be something I could take?

I can't, unfortunately; I practice in France.

The percocet might help, but it's the anti-inflammatory part of the ibuprofen or naproxen that's really important. Gout is inflammation from crystal buildup in your joints. Percocet has a good painkiller in it, but no anti-inflammation action.