Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What should I do if my blood pressure is 78/51. I have been…

What should I do...

What should I do if my blood pressure is 78/51. I have been having these issues for a couple of weeks and went to my doctor which he does not think it is a heart issue. he thinks it is an issue with vertigo?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I am a smoker, and yes my family does have history of heart problems. other than feeling dizzy and some what tired, that is all.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No he knows everything

3/30/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Please mention your age and gender . Any past medical issues?

I am 60 year old White male, I am on thyroid meds and choleseral meds, no surgery or stints, no hospital for heart issues ever for me.

Any swelling in legs , breathlessness , chest discomfort ? Do you feel dizzy because of low blood pressure? Is it same when lying or standing ? Or does it drop on standing up ?

With your age i would suspect this to be a postural drop in blood pressure rather then any heart issues. This can happen as we age becsuse the vessels lose tone thus resulting in inadequate flow of blood back towards heart . The good thing is its manageable.

You can use compression stockings to improve flow of blood back from your legs . Similarly you need to keep good fluid and salt intake to help your blood pressure .

There are medicines available too which include midodrine and fludrocortisone . Both are very effective in improving blood pressure and thus your symptoms of vertigo.

Hope it answers your query.

Let me know if you have any queries on this

Thanks, ***** ***** am on blood pressure meds, due to my doctor's history chart on me showed bp to be 140 ish over 89 to 90 at times. so he put me on the Lisinopril 40 mg. which at times I do feel the dizzy feeling laying down. one other thing is it started when the pollen started up about three weeks ago. but I have had some dizzy feelings before this but not every day like the past few weeks.
No swelling in legs that I can tell, and I do have some short of breath when carrying heavy objects or walking up flights of stairs, or when I do hard work. I have been out of my job for over 6 months and just laying around.

You need to reduce the dose of lisinopril then as you already have low blood pressure . If you reduce the dose and symptoms settle then no need for any of the above measures i mentioned

Thank you sir and I will contact my doctor about this and inform him of this.

You are most welcome.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor