Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had the same headache for the last three days with no…

I have had the same...
I have had the same headache for the last three days with no relief from the help of any meds. I’m wondering if this is concerning because I am about 8 weeks pregnant.
3/30/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Headaches are actually one of the most common symptom experienced during pregnancy. You are in the first trimester when all the surge in hormones in your body can often lead to a headache. In addition, your blood volume also increases during the first trimester and that can cause a headache as well. Other causes can be stress, caffeine withdrawal and lack of sleep.

Applying heat or cold to the sides of the head, the eyes, or along the back of the neck is one of the best ways to reduce or relieve the pain associated with a headache. Getting rest and plenty of hydration is also very helpful. Hope this helps.

I have tried all of these already. At what point could this headache be concerning?

If you begin to have nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, mental status changes, etc. those can be concerning signs. If this is the "worse headache of your life" that can also be concerning.

Also blurry vision, pain in the abdomen, and swelling of the face and hands that is associated with the headache should prompt you to seek medical attention soon.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Just a lot of pain in my lower back, hip, and under my rib cage. All on my right side. I can sometimes feel pressure and pain in my butt... but I am nauseous whenever the pain flairs up

OK, since it is not getting better and you are having pain in your abdomen as well it might be a good idea to see you OBGYN at some point soon.