Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My girlfriend informed that she is positive for chlamydia.

Customer Question
My girlfriend informed that...

My girlfriend informed that she is positive for chlamydia. What is the treatment?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I haven't. I don't have a primary doctor, but I do have medical insurance.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/29/2018
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, are you experiencing any symptoms at all such as burning with urination or pain at the tip of your penis, or tenderness/discomfort of your testicles?

No I'm not.
We can continue through the live chat.
She said she took to 2 500mg zithromax pills. Is that the correct treatment?

Very good, thank you for that information. I understand, chatting here is fine, JA always automatically offers the phone service. The standard treatment for chlamydia and sexual partners of those diagnosed with chlamydia is a single dose of oral antibiotic, azithromycin 1000 mg. Usually people are treated for gonorrhea at the same time with an injection in the muscle of an antibiotic called ceftriaxone, but if your girlfriend tested negative for that then that would not be necessary. Can I help with anything else today?

Yes, what your girlfriend took is correct, provided that she was positive ONLY for chlamydia and NOT gonorrhea.

Any other questions?

Can you write the prescription, or do I need to see a local doctor?

I'm sorry but JustAnswer does not prescribe prescription services. You would need to see a local doctor or see someone in a walk in clinic like urgent care or Planned Parenthood. Any other questions?

I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.