Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can you have surgery and have them know they took all cancer…

Can you have surgery...

Can you have surgery and have them know they took all cancer if you did not know you had cancer before

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

It was a prostate surgery

My urologist went in to fix an enlarged prostate. They said that they took out from both ends and came back and told me that he thought he got all the cancer. I did not even know that I had cancer. How would he know that I had cancer? I was just supposed to go in and have them fix the prostate. Nothing was said either about the semen going into the bladder either, is that normal? How do I know that they got all the cancer?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
what is taking so long?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

it sounds like you had a TURP or transurethral prostate resection

this opens up a wider channel through the prostate for the urine to flow

this can cut out chips of prostate tissue which sometimes show prostate cancer cells

if cancer is found, you need more testing like a prostate parametric MRI scan

and a 12-16 core prostate saturation biopsy to see if there is evidence of prostate cancer in your prostate gland

you need a PSA blood test as well

this can tell if you still have cancer in your prostate gland

then are planning on doing psa blood test in 6 months, can we go to video
no we have already waited a hour

you have to accept additional phone consult or video service fees to talk by phone or video

you should not have to pay $50

we can still chat through the website here.

do you have other questions?

how would doctor know what to cut of prostate to know he got it all

the doctor doesn't know what to cut out

he cut out tissue to allow urine to flow out of your penis better

it was a surprise to find prostate cancer in the tissues

you need more testing and prostate biopsies to know if you still have cancer in your prostate gland or not.

He said it was low grade cancer, not sure what that means

grade is how bizzar the cancer cells look under the microscope

the most common low grade prostate cancer is scored as a Gleason score 3+3=6

ask your urologist if you need a biopsy of the rest of your prostate gland to look for other sites of prostate cancer

or ask for an MRI scan of your prostate to look for signs of cancer in the rest of your prostate gland.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

can you live without prostate
they took from back and front, only the front showed not back

yes, you can live without a prostate gland

many men who have cancer in the prostate gland elect to have a prostatectomy to remove the whole prostate gland

but you don't have to have surgery

you can have radiation therapy to the rest of your prostate gland and this can cure you of prostate cancer without surgery.

he went into surgery and did not know he would be sterile afterward is this common

urology doctors do prostate surgery and usually recommend surgery

you can ask for another opinion from a radiation oncology doctor to ask about radiation.

should he wait 6 mons for psa blood test
he went into surgery and did not know he would be sterile afterward is this common?
i went into surgery and doctor never told me I would be sterile, is this common?
should I wait 6 mons?

no, you should get PSA test now

and you should get more prostate biopsy now.

retrograde ejaculation is a common side effect of TURP surgery

he should have talked to you about this risk before the procedure.

explain retrograde ejaculation

that is when the ejaculation goes back into your bladder instead of out of your penis after you have had surgery

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

thanks for the positive feedback

thanks for using JustAnswer.com