Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Going to the md with my Dad tomorrow. He has a bone

Going to the md...

Going to the md with my Dad tomorrow. He has a bone infection in his knee

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

What questions should I ask?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He was burned in 1994, 60% of his body, they believe an injury to his knee at that time is whats up now, causing the infection. I'm concerned about the pic line, because his skin is all grafts.

3/29/2018
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

PICC lines can be placed on the chest or the neck as well if other locations aren't possible.

It would be important to ask how long the treatment will need to go on for and what reactions to the antibiotic you should look for. Also, he may not be allowed to take probiotics depending on the antibiotic. These are god things to inquire about.

As for the symptoms, it would be good to ask when to look for in order to know that he's getting better and what signs might indicate that he's getting worse despite being on the antibiotics.

ok, Those are great! They are saying 6/8 weeks and then surgery to clean the bone...

They will likely redo the MRI after the antibiotics to see if surgery is even needed. Sometimes a longer course could help prevent the infection from coming back. It would be helpful to ask if there is anything he can do in his diet or lifestyle to decrease the chance of this recurring.

Thank you so much

Glad I could help.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD