Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 25 year old has notice a little surface area blood when…

My 25 year old has...
My 25 year old has notice a little surface area blood when he wipes since highschool. a few years back he had a colonoscopy when he was constipated and that came back normal. Dr. did notice hemmoroid upon exam. That leads me to present. Today he wiping. When he got up he noticed drips of bright red blood in the toilet bowl. The other day he had big blotches of red on his toilet paper. Do you think this is something serious? Sometimes when he wipes he does burning and itchy but not all of the time. Stool color is normal and no diarrehea
3/29/2018
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Is there any abdominal pains or rectal pains as well?

No

Without other symptoms the most common cause is a bleed from an anal fissure or a thin hemorrhoid. These can bleed and it's common to see drops of blood in the toilet bowl or blood on the tissue. Often this only lasts a couple of days and then resolves which is a good and positive signs that it's not anything dangerous.

I Cagree. The only thing I was a little concerned about was that he mentioned for several years now when he wipes he has noticed blood. Not as much as this time around. Would hemoroids cause a continual thing such as this?

If it's constant daily bleeding then it would be concerning. Intermittent bleeding isn't as concerning especially if the colonoscopy is normal.

Hemorrhoids can cause bleeding for several days in a row but almost never daily.

he said there is a little bleeding almost everytime he wipes. He also has a tailbone cyst that sometimes will drain, but that isn't happening right now. He had a recent check up and cbc was normal. so counts look good.

For anyone with daily bleeding I recommend a rectal exam and a colonoscopy. If those are normal and show nothing more than a hemorrhoid then we usually refer such patients to a proctologist. I am not familiar with anyone with hemorrhoids who has daily bleeding - never read about it on any medical forum or journal which is why I would advise seeing a proctologist to manage the hemorrhoids.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
ok. He had a colonoscopy maybe 4 years ago and apparently he said it was going on then. That is when he had really bad constipation and dr told him he had a hemorrhoid.
thanks for the info.