Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and had slightly elevated systolic…

I'm 31 weeks pregnant...

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and had slightly elevated systolic blood pressure at my last appointment. Ive had a few glasses of hibiscus tea, but now I'm reading t could be a problem

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

Fluctuation I've never had high BP before

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No... there haven't been any signs of GD, preeclampsia, or any other complications at this point.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

I am Dr. Shah and am reviewing your question now.

I will respond to your question or request additional information shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is it your first pregnancy? Do you have headache, breathing difficulties, pain abdomen, nausea/vomiting?

Is this the first time elevated BP was recorded?

This is my first pregnancy. I have no headaches, no difficulty breathing, no abdominal pain, and haven't had any nausea or vomiting since my first trimester. I do have a very active baby in there, though.
This is the first time elevated BP was recorded, but they're having me come back in next week just to make sure it's not the start of a new pattern
I really think the elevated BP is just due to the fact that I'm about to have my entire family come into town, so I'm scrambling to get my house together, and things have been a bit crazy at work. It seems reasonable to have the elevated BP at this time. I'm not as concerned about that as I am about the fact that I chose to drink herbal, hibiscus tea to deal with it, and it sounds like that may be a problem.

Thanks for the information.

You don't seem to have any associated symptoms to suggest abnormal pregnancy. However, high BP is not normal and the risk of preeclampsia has to be assessed and monitored. A single high reading is not enough, that's why they are asking you to visit them again. It is always better to identify this kind of problem early on so that we can avoid complication. They will also do blood, urine and ultrasound to make sure everything is normal and put in close monitoring. Just follow your doctor recommendation, no action required now. The single reading could be due to stress, exertion etc. Monitoring is more important now.

Please leave a positive rating by selecting 5 stars on the top of your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question, you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr.Shah

Did you get my answer? Please let me know if you have any follow-up question for me.

Also, a few glasses of hibiscus tea can not do any harm to your pregnancy. There is no need to worry.

Take care.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor