Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday and now waking up today I have had pain on the…

Customer Question
Hi, so yesterday and...

Hi, so yesterday and now waking up today I have had pain on the right side of my head it gives me headaches but only on one side. I haven’t slept right in the past month, also a lot of stress. And I haven’t been staying hydrated and I’m worried about what it is.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

If I take a pain medication it goes away, and felt like throwing up yesterday only like once or twice.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im currently taking birth control, I had asthma as a little kid

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also if I’m not laying down on my head it doesn’t hurt
3/29/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 24 days ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

What is your blood pressure?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Im 20 years old, Female, usually my blood pressure is 130/80

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you very much.

Most headaches are caused by following:

Tension-type headache

Migraine headache

Chronic daily headache

Cluster headache

Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache. So probably this would be the first to be considered in the differential diagnosis of your headache also. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer.

Migraine headaches are the second most common type of primary headache. Cluster headaches are a rare type primary headache.

Nausea and dizziness can occur in migraine headache but it is difficult to differentiate between migraine and tension type headache without an examination. There are other causes of headache also;

1) sinus headache; with your history of nose block surgery, this can be a possibility.

2) Medication overuse headache

3) Post trauma headache; occur after injury or accident.

4) Secondary headache; brain tumor.

Usually a doctor's examination is sufficient to ascertain the cause of headache. But occasionally x-ray of the sinus and CT scan or MRI of the brain may be needed, especially if the headache is persisting for long is worsening and is accompanied by symptoms like vomiting, vision disturbances and imbalance. After the tension headaches commonest headache are migraine.

You may take Motrin for a day or two and try to relax.

In your age group, a short duration headache is likely due to tension headache.

Following are the suggested treatment for chronic tension headache;

1) Acupuncture

2) Mild massage

3) Correct posture of neck during working.

4) Relaxation technique like meditation.

5) Stretching exercises

6) Occipital blocks

7) Electrical stimulation

8) Therapeutic ultrasound

9) Hot/cold packs

10) Medications;

Dihydroergotamine

Reglan

Phenargan

Codeine

Oxycodone

Butalbital

Aspirin

Tylenol.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor