Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about something on my penis. Not really…

I have a question...

I have a question about something on my penis. Not really sure what it is but I just want to make sure it is nothing serious. I’m going to get it checked out in person but just wanted to see if I could get some more info on it first.

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No I have not used any meds for it mainly because I do not know what it is. They are raised spots on the shaft area. They do Not irritate or itch at all

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a dermatologist about spots?

Not yet I am going to in person as soon as possible but just wanted to find out some quick info if I could first

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope all good

3/29/2018
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor

Hello and thanks for your question.
It's my first priority to help you.
I'm reviewing your question now & will post back with the reply soon.

Please provide some additional information.

What are your age and gender?

Please upload a photo.

Are you taking any medicines?

History of unprotected sex?

Thanks.
Waiting for your reply.
I will post back to the reply/answer momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

I am a 20 year old male. I have not had sex yet. I am not taking any meds. I will upload a picture.

Waiting for a photo.

Ok here is one
I will try and get a better one for you.

Are they painful, itchy?

No not at all. I also believe I have had them for a while. But now that I am a little older I am getting concerned
here is another one.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
As per your description and photo, these are Fordyce spots-Visible sebaceous glands

They are harmless.

Chances of STD are very slim.
"I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today!
Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).
We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Ok that makes me feel a lot better. I actually did some research on my own before contacted the website and I thought that it was indeed Fordyce spots. Do you recommend seeing a doctor in person as well? And can you tell me a little bit about Fordyce spots? Is there a treatment for them?
Also when I have sex if I have them can I transmit them to another person? Are they contagious through sex ?

Thank you for replying back.

Fordyce glands are enlarged oil glands. They are completely normal, harmless, and painless. They occur in 70 to 80 percent of adults.

You can see a dermatologist for further treatment only for a cosmetic reason.

Treatment options may include topical medicines, Laser therapy,micro-punch surgery.

They are not contagious and can't transmit to another person while sex.

I hope this answers your question. If you would like to discuss this further or have any additional questions, please reply to my answer and I will get right back to you.
Please avoid poor/bad rating.
Please leave positive rating by clicking 5 stars above the chat box if you are satisfied with our conversation.
Waiting for your reply.

Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, Doctor
Thank you so much you have been a great help and I can sleep a little better tonight. I will be sure to give you a 5 Star rating. Have a great night.

Good wishes for your health.

Thanks.
Take care.