Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a good friend that is 56. He developed skin problems…

I have a good friend...
I have a good friend that is 56. He developed skin problems all over his arms in October. He went to the Dr and they gave him Bactrim. The sores got better, but then they came back when he stopped taking it. They did a culture on them and it was staph. He went to a dermatologist recently bc thesores are all over his arms and legs now. He is in severe pain. They gave him doxycycline about 7 days ago and nothing has gotten better. What are his options to cure this?
3/29/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience,I will help with your query.Staphylococcal infections can be quite severe and painful. Getting a bacterial culture and antibiotic sensitivity testing will probably help select the best antibiotic active against the strain of bacilli infecting your friend.This culture can be ordered by your PCP/Doctor and the most effective antibiotic can be selected from the sensitivity reports.Use of Augmentin(amoxicillin + Clavunate) is a combination effective against beta lactamase resistant strains of Staph.That would be the one of the best choices for empirical therapy.A review by the Dermatologist who should be told that the Doxycycline was ineffective may also yield results,you can discuss the need for culture and sensitivity tests with him too.

They have him medication from the sensitivity tests and none of them work
Gave

They should repeat the bacterial culture and redo the antibiotic sensitivity.Use of drugs like Linizolid/Linox,4th generation cephalosporins,Clarithromycin,Faropenem would be some of the choices for empirical therapy.

Ok, what about an infectious disease specialist?

Yes,that is definitely an option.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Ok thank you