Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 28 year old female and I've been experiencing chest pain…

I'm 28 year old...

I'm 28 year old female and I've been experiencing chest pain in the left side on and off for 5 days. It tends to get worse at evening and night time.

Doctor's Assistant: When did the pain begin? Have you used any medication for it?

It began about 5 days ago. I've been taking Advil...I had a bad cough a week or two ago

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about cough?

No I didnt. The cough has gone now. I do feel like I am burping a lot though too

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I am aware of

3/29/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Great

Do you have shortness of breath, tenderness on chest, acid reflux, heartburn, fever, sweating, pain in left arm?

I had heartburn a few days ago but I do tend to get it when I eat spicy food anyway. I don't have any shortness of breath or any of the other symptoms

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Okay thank you.

I would consider following for your symptoms;

1) Esophageal spasm
2) Esophageal motility disorder
3) Esophagitis.

Following treatment may help you;

a) Calcium channel blockers (diltiazem, nifedipine) decreases the spasm and improves the movements of the esophagus.
b) Relaxation techniques.
c) Noncardiac chest pain in the setting of esophageal spasm and esophageal movement disorder (dysmotility) often shows good response to antireflux therapy, even in the absence of typical gastroesophageal reflux symptoms.
d) Reassurance and control of anxiety is extremely important, if you have any.

Anti reflux therapy is;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Having said that, you may get an EKG and chest x-ray for just precaution and categorically ruling out heart and lung issue (like pleurisy).

The other possibility to look for would be costochondritis, which is inflammation of rib and cartilage joints. Please read about it;

https://www.medicinenet.com/costochondritis_and_tietze_syndrome/article.htm

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I am currently on holiday in Canada until the 6th April. As long as I get some of the medication stated above and follow the techniques as you advise, would you say I will be okay until I get home for the chest X-ray

Yes, you should be okay.

There is unlikely to be anything worrisome or serious.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

With all the possibilities it could be, is the pain in the left side normal? I do feel like I have gas build up.

Pain in the left side of the chest have many other reasons too apart from heart and lung about which most people are worried. This is a frequent occurrence.

Gall bladder dysfunctions, hiatal hernia, peptic ulcer, all can cause left sided chest pain especially in the evening.

Following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Thank you so much.
During my time in Canada what would you describe as the time to seek medical advice

You are most welcome.

If anytime, if you have following symptoms, you may contact a doctor in Canada;

1) Moderate to severe chest pain.

2) Shortness of breath.

3) Severe nausea or vomiting.

4) Excessive sweating accompanied by chest pain.