Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

A few weeks ago I reconnected with my time boyfriend after a…

A few weeks ago...

A few weeks ago I reconnected with my long time boyfriend after a few month break. 4-5 days later I discovered aweful painful sores. I assumed and after a google search I was sure I had hsv2 I called him and told him about it. He had been with another girl twice during our break. (I know we were both clean before this) I do not have insurance so he went to his physician and had a blood test that came back positive for hsv2. His dr gave him acyclovir 400mg to take 3x’s a day for 5 days and the rest of the 80 count bottle 2 tablets a day to the end. He gave me the prescription since he had no symptoms and I..was in incredible pain and was in the midst of a very nasty outbreak. He gave me the meds yesterday. So I took the 3 doses yesterday. This morning it was basics the same. I googled and saw that during an initial outbreak that you can take 800mg 5 x’s a day for 5 days then go to the 2-400mg tabs a day. My Medicaid is currently being renewed so I have to wait to see a doctor. I just want to be sure it’s ok for me to have taken 800mgs 5x’s today and continue that and will it please please clear this up! Besides the embarrassment and anger for being in my position as a 40 year old mother of three who’s only had 4 partners in my whole life..I just want to be sure I’m ok to take this dosage or what you recommend for me to do while I wait to get my Medicaid re instated hopefully in 2 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

My boyfriend had a blood test last week that came back positive for hsv2 and I am 100% positive that is what I am experiencing

3/29/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Ok thank you

This is the treatment regime;

200 mg every 4 hours while awake (5 times daily) for 10 days or 400 mg every 8 hours for 7-10 days.

This is the authentic reference;

https://reference.medscape.com/drug/zovirax-acyclovir-342601.

I am sorry, I cannot phone you, but we can continue here.

This would be cleared. Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Ok I took 800mgs 4 times today. Is it going to affect my outbreak ( prolong it or make it worse if I decrease the dose I take tomorrow to the 400 mg every 8 hours?

No. It would not affect the resolution if you decrease the dose tomorrow as recommended.

It is privilege assisting you.

Ok thank you. Also, will I still get charged the $50 since you were unavailable to talk? I only clicked that button because the way it displayed on my phone I assumed you were available.. this has been helpful just the same, but since I couldn’t talk to you, will they still charge me?
About How long will it take the acyclovir to clear the outbreak?
PM&R Doc
PM&R Doc, Physician
Phone call session started

Acyclovir can take 5-7 days to clear the outbreak.

It is privilege assisting you.