Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been getting steroid injections in my spine every 2…

I've been getting steroid...

I've been getting steroid injections in my spine every 2 weeks for about 3/4 months...i get them for chronic severe back and right leg pain...i have a spinal cord stimulator implant that works to a degree...because of that, i can't have an mri...my pain dr told me today the injections just arent helping...i'm getting worse and can barely walk anymore...i'm a 69 y/o female...he wants me to see a neurologist...i am frightened of what may be coming next...my dr does not believe all this pain is diabetic neuropathy

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I don't, no...i can get copies of my medical records from my drs...also, i have mds...myo displastic syndrome in my bone marro\w...right now i'm not having to get chemo...i'm checked every 3 months

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I will be starting to see a new endocrinologist in 3 weeks at the barnes center for advanced medicine

3/29/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Very sorry to hear about your struggle with your health issues. Well the first thing that comes to my mind in your case would be a collapsed vertebrae impinging or pressing on the nerve supplying your back and legs . Sciatic nerve is the major nerve in this area . The risk factors in your case for spontaneous vertebral collapse would be ;

Your age - as postmenopausal women have weak bones which progressively worsens with age

Prolonged use of steroids leads to degeneration in bones

Myelodysplasia and diabetes ( you hinted at diabetetic neuropathy so i assume you have diabetes).

The issue here is that you cannot get an MRi done but we need to see how your back is . One way to see that would be getting an x ray done . An Xray on lower spine would help rule out any major bony abnormalities which could be pressing on the nerves.

Other causes could be a slipped disc , a local growth , narrowed spinal canal or spinal stenosis .

Nerve medications like pregabalin , gabapentin etc usually can help alongwith other measures you have been trying .

I hope you feel better soon.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regard

i appreciate your response....i sent a seperate notification letting you know that the dx i was being treated for was lumbar radiculapathy...he did say yesterday that it might be necessary to have the stimulator removed to be able to do an mri if a ct scan didn't show anything...can you tell me what tests might be necessary to come to a definite dx for what's causing all this...and do you think i should see a neurosurgeon right off the bat because if any of the things you mentioned that might be going on sound like possible surgery might require surgery...i don't want to waste anymore time due to the pain i'm in and inability to function
i forgot to mention i've been taking gabapentin, 1200 mg 3 x's daily for about 1 1/2 yrs...it's helped with nerve pain in my feet from diabetic neuropathy, but that's about it

Well neurosurgeon would help you if the MRI picks up something substantial that would require a surgery . So ideally an MRI needs to be done first . Other tests that can help include EMG / NCS . A consultation with a neurosurgeon would help if you already have an MRI done . Your symptoms tell me there could be something that would need a surgery .

Hope it answered your query

Stay blessed.

Regard

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
while i appreciate this drs response, i did feel like the answers were somewhat generic...i still feel unsure of who i should see...whether the stimulator should be removed so an mri could be done, and the stimulator reimplanted....i believe i'm going to contact mercy hospital referral directly and see what happens...i'll keep this service another few days, but will most probably cancel before the trial period ends

Well i would definitely like to get an MRi done and for that get the stimulator removed. Neurosurgical consult would be the next step . I hope there is no confusion now

thank you...can you tell me where you are located?...i need to see a mercy neurologist in st louis mo

No actually am not located in US so would not be of much help am sorry .

well, thank you for your advice...i appreciate the time you gave me

You are most welcome.

I wish you all the best.

Stay blessed.

Best regards