Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Got plugged ear for a few days after a cold. What can I use…

Got plugged ear for a...
Got plugged ear for a few days after a cold. What can I use to unplug? Pregnant mid 20s.
3/29/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will be assisting you today.

You are likely dealing with Eustachian tube dysfunction. The eustachian tube connects the middle ear to the back of the nose. It is supposed to help equalize the pressure in your ear but when it gets inflamed like after a cold it does not open as effectively.

Here is what you can do:

-spray Flonase 2 sprays once daily until the symptoms resolve

-try to pop your ears 4-6 times daily (ie: plug your nostrils and try to blow out)

-Other medications cannot be used in pregnancy unfortunately.

Research has shown that this eventually resolves on its own. If it persists for 4-6 weeks you may need a small procedure to relieve the plugged sensation. Of course, you can see your ENT to get a closer look at the ears themselves. Hope this helps.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Thanks for your quick helpful reply.

My pleasure!