Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m prescribed adderall and a friend gave me a couple

vyvanse to try because I...
I’m prescribed adderall and a friend gave me a couple vyvanse to try because I was complaining about the adderall crash. The next day of course my Dr collected a urine specimen to send to the lab for illegal use/abuse/etc. I saw them check a box on the paperwork for adderall. Will the lab show that I took the vyvanse?
3/29/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

Most urine drug tests will test for amphetamines/methamphetamines. Vyvanse and adderal are both amphetamines, but the drug test will not be able to tell them apart most likely.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Even in the lab analysis? Why did they check a box for adderall specifically?

They checked adderall so that they know the reason you will test positive for amphetamines is because you take adderall

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
do the concentrations of each drug show up differently? I took 140 mgs vyvanse over two days. Will the concentration seem like abuse since I usually take 60mgs adderall in two days?

Most urine drug tests are only qualitative and not quantitative meaning that they will only show if the drug is in the system or not. Not the level/concentration of the drug.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
If they do a more intensive test (to identify specific drugs) does it have to be approved by insurance and/or myself since they are expensive?
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
why would they send it to a lab when they can do a qualitative test in the office?

Yes. Regardless though, once adderall and vyvanse are processed by the body and enter the urine they are the same chemical. They are only slightly different when you consume them.

That I am not sure of. Some/most offices don't have that capability.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you. I know they did an amph check in the office when I first started taking it. Do you know if there’s a reason they are now sending one to the lab?

This could be because they want to do quantitative studies although this is tough with urine. You could check with your doctor if you are concerned. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
if the reason is to do a quantitative analysis how does the concentration of vyvanse compare to adderall?
I like my doctor and trust her. I didn’t even think about the fact that trying vyvanse to see if I should ask to switch at my appointment was potentially problematic as I wasn’t doing it abusively and am pretty naive about rules regarding these things... would it be in my best interest to just tell her, or to wait for the results and explain to her the situation if the test shows as problematic?

Since you took more vyvanse, if they do a quantitative study it might show a bit higher.

Honestly, if you like your doctor and trust her I think just tell her that you did it once before the results come back. That will show honesty in my opinion. Obviously, you know your relationship with your doctor the best so you will have to gauge the situation.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you so much for answering these questions. I know I have a lot. If the test does come back with undesirable results, is the doctor required to drop me as her patient?

No, absolutely not. It is the doctor's decision.

My pleasure. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I just want to clarify one answer you gave then I will let you be...
The more intensive analyses that do differentiate the drugs are not typically ordered, is that correct?
And if these further tests are ordered, I will have to approve it and my insurance will as well, before they can go forward with it? I’ve heard they’re quite expensive

Yes, that is correct.

Depends on the insurance I think, but yes, that is correct.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thanks so much.
Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD