Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does it mean to have a follicular cyst and a haemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst on the same ovary?

Doctor's Answer: A follicular cyst is a simple cyst which contains clear fluid. It generally forms when a follicle fails to rupture. It can clear up spontaneously in a few months.

A corpus luteal cyst is a cyst which forms n a gland known as a corpus luteum. This gland normally forms in the ovary after ovulation occurs - the hormones secreted from the gland help sustain an early pregnancy if pregnancy occurs in that cycle. It degenerates if pregnancy does not occur. Haemorrhage or bleeding into the gland can sometimes occur forming a haemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst. It is usually an indication that pregnancy has failed to occur, and the corpus luteal cyst is soon going to degenerate.

A haemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst can be quite painful. But the pain goes away once the cyst degenerates in a few days. Painkillers are the standard treatment.

A follicular cyst does not need treatment unless it is very large

Read full interaction below »

Customer’s Question: What does it mean to have a follicular cyst and a haemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst on the same ovary? I had an ultrasound yesterday - currently on tramadol for pain. I have had the pain since the weekend and walking / lifting my left leg makes the pain worse. Sitting and standing as well. I have endometriosis.

3/29/2018
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

A follicular cyst is a simple cyst which contains clear fluid. It generally forms when a follicle fails to rupture. It can clear up spontaneously in a few months.

A follicular cyst does not need treatment unless it is very large.

How long does it typically take a hemorrhagic corpus luteal cyst to go away? Mine has been extremely painful for probably 5 days now. I have endometriosis. Does this have any affect on it?

The corpus luteal cyst ruptures at around the time of your next periods and the pain will go away at that time. But the cyst will take about 3 months to disappear completely.

Endometriosis will increase the severity of the pain, but the duration will remain the same - that is, rupture and decrease of pain by the time of the next period.

What medication usually helps with the pain? I am currently taking tramadol and it is doing nothing for the pain. Should I be staying away from exercising as well?

While Tramadol is a very good painkiller, some people respond better to Ibuprofen (Advil). Both the medicines can be taken at the same time with no bad effects.

And yes, you need to be at rest as much as possible. Being active, especially exercising will increase the pain.

Sorry, one more question! Can these twist the ovary or cause any damage to the ovary? I have been on aygestin due to heavy bleeding from the endo, so I am not supposed to get a period. How does not getting a period interfere with it rupturing?

Most corpus luteum cysts do not get large enough to cause twisting of the ovary. A cyst has to be quite large to be able to pull on the ovary.

Not getting a period will not affect the corpus luteum cyst. The cells have a lifetime of only about 16 days from the date of ovulation and will degenerate whether a period occurs or not.

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor