Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have small bumps(blister like) under tongue as well as big…

I have small bumps(blister...

I have small bumps(blister like) under tongue as well as big bumps on back of tongue along with chronic sore throat and ear pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever I've noticed this over the past week or so

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a history of chronic sore throats, hard nodules under ear/jaw, tonsil stones

3/29/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Hello

How old are you?

Any trouble swallowing? Pain with swallowing? Are you eating regular food?

Any bleeding?

Can you send a picture?

29 yrs old no trouble swallowing. Eating regularly. No bleeding that I've noticed.
Here is the back of the tongue. I can't get a great picture.

It is a little hard to see the bumps. This could be transient lingual papillitis or canker sores under your tongue. Nothing to do about these aside from pain relief with oral gels/ointments that can numb the area.

The back of the tongue actually looks pretty normal. Those bumps are called the circuvallate papillae. They can sometimes get a little inflamed especially when you are sick.

Regardless, it does not look concerning. You may be getting slightly sick.

Hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

The bumps under my tongue are following the veins. Is that a cause to worry? And the big ones are along the strip under my tongue

Oh I see. The ones along the veins are normal and many people have them. Nothing to worry about.

The big ones along the strip under your tongue are actually the opening of one of your salivary ducts (Wharton's duct). They look pretty normal in that picture. Hope that clears it up.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD