Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is NeuroStar the best TMS device used for severe depression,

Customer Question
Is NeuroStar the best...

Is NeuroStar the best TMS device used for severe depression , or is the second more recent device Brainsway that the FDA approved in 2013 just as good? Both devices are available at two different TMS centers in my area.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

It's just a general question that I'm asking for a relative who has been feeling this way for several monhts. bu has had long episodes on and off for a number years. She has seen 3 or 4 psychiatrists and given medication which hasn't been too effectiive .

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This close relative has also had problems with insomnia as well for several years.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your close relative.

I see you have inquired about two of the available TMS devices for the management of depression of a close relative of you. As a Neurologist I involve with diagnosis & treatment of depression very frequently and I am very familiar with these TMS devices, and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see, overall there are no major differences between these two devices, so either one can be used, and both are overall equally effective and overall both help with no side effects or with only minimal tolerable side effects.

The FDA (Food and drug administration) - the official government agency that clears new drugs or medical devices to the market cleared NeuroStar in year 2008, whereas the Brainsway’s Deep TMS was cleared in year 2013. So as you see the Brainsway is bit more recent one, having said that both use essentially the same technique, while neurostar is about 5 years old but the technology of transcranial magnetic stimulation of the brain available around that time was not significantly less advanced that that of around 2013.

But brainsway has one advantage over neurostar system;

The duration of treatment required is shorter with this technique compared to the neurostar technique; neurostar treatment session lasts for about 40 minutes, whereas the brainsway session lasts for about 20 minutes, so this is one difference between them.

Both require about 5 sessions per week and in general both require about 4 to 6 weeks of treatment

While both use overall similar techniques however there is some difference, the brainwave technique uses stronger (deeper & wider) magnetic stimulation which gives it an advantage over the neurostar in that the treatment session lasts shorter 20 minutes with brainsway Vs 40 minutes as mentioned earlier above too with NeuroStar. But brainsway can cause more discomfort to the patient compared to the neurostar, although major side effects or adverse events are not noticed during the treatment with either of these two devices. But in general neurostar is tolerated better than the brainsway, and patients feel more comfortable with neurostar than brainsway.

Otherwise there are no other major differences between these two therapies, especially from the patient’s perspective.

As you see brainsway is a relatively newer device, it uses bit stronger magnetic field application which reaches more deep and wide, so the therapy sessions are shorter (about 20 minutes) which can save some time to the patient, but due to applying stronger magnetic field some patients may feel this bit more uncomfortable compared to neurostar

The neurostar is a relatively older device, but the overall technology they use is not old, and it uses less strong magnetic field application and this makes the therapy session last bit longer (usually about 40 minutes)- but this makes the treatment overall more comfortable too.

To summarize once again; Please see overall both are about equally effective, both cost money wise about the same for the patient/and most insurances cover both these TMS devices, the number of sessions and the duration of the whole treatment required are about the same with both devices as mentioned earlier above, and as mentioned earlier the main difference is neurostar treatment session lasts longer but it is tolerated better than the brainsway, so other than these differences there are really no other significant differences, so either of these devices can be used, and generally the factors that are taken into consideration in choosing one treatment over the other are which treatment center is nearer to the patient’s place, and which device treatment is covered by their insurance company etc.

Wishing your close relative a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you guys all - the best of health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I see you have not yet rated my answer, is it because you are not satisfied with the above answer, or is it due to some technical glitches? If you are not satisfied and if you are still looking for more information please let me know and I will be very glad to continue assisting you as long as you need my services, and until you are fully satisfied. On the otherhand if rating was not done due to any technical glitches preventing you from rating please let me know and I can bring this to the notice of the company and they can help in fixing this glitch.

Please let me know.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD