Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just curious about recent thumb twitching and spasms that…

Just curious about recent...

Just curious about recent thumb twitching and spasms that I've had in the last few months

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm 48, started taking amlodipine tablets for high blood pressure last month

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

The right thumb started shaking in January. At the same time I had twitching all over my body. It switched to the left hand/fingers a week later. I stopped caffeine intake and it seemed to go away for about a month, but then the right thumb started moving again last week. No other symptoms to speak of.

3/29/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

what other meds do you take?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
None

Do you ever get numb hands or fingers at night?

what do you do for work?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I'm prior Air Force, now a full time student. I do spend several hours a day typing, I noticed that both arms on the edge of the desk while I'm doing this, not sure if it's relevant. I have occasionally felt a bit of tingling in right hand small fingers after typing for a few hours, not at night though.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I've attached a photo of my arm position in case it matters.

I think this is classic carpal tunnel my friend

the other twitching can be explained by caffeine but this one is carpal tunnel

You need an EMG (nerve test) of the hands

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks for the information, as I understood it carpal tunnel might be considered painful? I suppose the desk position is pinching the nerve as I do put some pressure on it, but it's closer to the elbow than to the hand. My initial worry was ALS or Parkinson's.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The movement thumb movement takes place at any time during the day or night, along with occasional twitching of a muscle on the top of the forearm.

I doubt ALS and PD

PD presents much later in life and ALS would have weakness as a first sign

The EMG would eliminate both

I think you need an EMG

and CTS (carpal tunnel) can travel up the arm

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
If I change my typing position, can I expect the condition to gradually lessen and/or disappear?

Yes you can get ergonomic keyboards

that will help

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks Doctor, is there any other advice that you can give concerning this? I will have an EMG done. I'm especially relieved if these symptoms are not ALS or Parkinson's. I also play guitar, which may affect the situation.

Absolutely

you can get carpal tunnel braces to wear at night but it isn't necessary

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK, one last concern and that is that I can understand the tingling or numbing of the fingers as being related to CTS but wasn't aware that my thumb tremor movement could be a symptom of that. Is this common in your experience?

Absolutely
I see it ALL the time

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thanks much for your time and patience with answering my questions, Doctor.
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor