Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 5 year old got diagnosed with strep. They gave her 800 mg…

My 5 year old...

My 5 year old got diagnosed with strep. They gave her 800 mg amoxicillin suspension po bid. Seems like a lot. I was worried I was giving her too much. She weighs 46 pounds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No

3/29/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience, and I will help with your query.The dosage of Amoxicillin in children over 3 months of age ,weighing upto 88 pounds would be 25-45mgms per pound body weight ,total daily dose, if given twice daily.if given thrice daily the total dose is 20-40mgms/pound body weight as total daily dose .This recommended dose is given in the lower dose if the infection is mild and in the upper limits if the infection is severe.$6 pounds x 45 would be a total of 2070mgms of amoxicillin as twice daily dose.Since she is getting a total of 1600 mgms , the dose is moderate and not an overdose.The dosage seems accurate and should be continued.

I hate to be questioning again but everything I read says 20-45 mg per kg ? Given kg she is only 21 kg. And all the pediatric tables say no more than a 1000 mg per day.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/100164-dosage-amounts-medication-amoxicillin-children/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/amoxicillin-oral-route/proper-use/drg-20075356

these are two dosage charts which show the doses both in pounds and kgs.

Yes,the dose of amoxiciliin /kg body weight is 25-45mgm/kg ,that would suggest a total dose of around 1000 mgms for the day,but as per the other table the dose seems correct.I am sure you can discuss this with your Paediatrician .

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor