Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

An emergency. vitamin stuck in throat. She is sipping water…

Customer Question
This is NOT an...

This is NOT an emergency. vitamin stuck in throat. She is sipping water for 15 min trying to wash it down but not doing it. It is stuck to the side of the throat not across. Any suggestions? Thank you, *****(###) ###-####

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

NOT severe

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NO She is healthy

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/29/2018
Doctor: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will try to assist you today.

How old is she?

She tried to swallow a vitamin and feels that it is stuck in her throat correct?

Any pain? Shortness of breath? Change in voice? Choking?

Is she able to swallow water now?

she’s up walking around and sometimes laying down flat sipping water but calm and in good health. I’m reading on the Internet that it is not good to leave that pill in place we are trying to wash it down do you have any recommendations?

First of all, I would say 80-90% people that think they have something stuck in their throat actually don't have anything once we look. It's just the feeling that is there.

In order to help it get down, try to swallow some bread with a strong swallow. Drink plenty of water. Honey can also help.

What kind of vitamin is it?

If it continues to feel like there is something stuck in the throat tomorrow I would see an ENT.

Ultimate Woman Gold from the vitamin shoppe
we are trying honey now

Yes or something thicker than water, like orange juice or a milk shake to help push it down.

we are on a rotating water and honey right now. She doesn't think bread would NOT good right now

OK, she should at least try to swallow bread after chewing and making it moist in her mouth.

She has cyclobenzaprine 10 mg would this help?

Probably not.

OK I will be away from my computer for some time now. My advice would be to try the bread, juice, hard swallows, etc.. If it still feels like it is stuck she may need to see a doctor to see if there is actually something stuck there. Hope I was of some help.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

We really don’t have a bread that we could liquefy to achieve that. We’re trying some other heavy liquids. She wants to know about a banana but I think that any form of that it’s gonna be too thick that my clog up and it’s gonna be like a sap

I think a banana is a good idea. If she can't swallow regular food because of the pill then she definitely should see a doctor because that is not normal. That would be a good test.

How are things now?