Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Discovered a lump in breast. Also some rash/bumps on breast.

Discovered a lump in...

Discovered a lump in breast. Also some rash/bumps on breast. New to area; so don't have a physician. What should next steps be? Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: When did you first notice this? When was your last mammogram?

Has been some time since last mammogram; don't know exactly. Has been 2 to 3 weeks since rash/bumps appeared.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. No illnesses; no allergies.

3/28/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

How old are you?

Is the lump hard or soft? Painful? Any other symptoms?

Lump is hard. No pain. Other symptom is the rash/bumps on breast. Breast also feels heavy.
Sorry, forgot to answer the age question. Age is 68.

Are you taking any hormones?

No. Not taking any medications at all.

OK. First of all, the vast majority of breast lumps are non-cancerous. However, since you are post-menopausal and you have not had a mammogram in some time I think it would be very important for you to see your doctor soon to be fully evaluated. These lumps really have to be felt in order to get an idea of what me going on. You are also probably due for a mammogram anyway. Hope that helps clear things up.

I have recently moved to the area and don't have a physician yet. What type of doctor should I contact? Do you have any idea about the rash/bumps. Thank you.

You can see a regular internist or family physician. The rash/bumps as well as the lump could be related to an infection, allergy, but it is hard to tell.

Thank you.

My pleasure.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD