Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it ok to give my dog gabapentin and galliprant at the…

Hello, is it ok...

Hello, is it ok to give my dog gabapentin and galliprant at the same time?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes he was prescribed both at different times but held back on the galliprant., just saw vet today and he suggested starting the galliprant, my dog is already taking gabapentin. Cannot remember if doctor wants me to stop gabapentin , he is gone for the day and I want to start tonight. not sure if safe to give both.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just want to know if safe to give both

3/29/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Your question came through under the "Medical" category, but I see this involves your dog. I am confident I can give you an accurate answer, but in full disclosure, I am not a veterinarian but a physician. Would you like me to answer you here or would you prefer I opt out and you re-list your question for a veterinarian?

i'll take your word for it, is it safe?

Thank you. Do you know what doses of each medication, gabapentin and Galliprant you have to give your dog?

How many milligram pills of each?

600mg gabapentin 24hrs. 120mg galliprant 24hrs.

Thank you. What type of dog do you have, and about how much does the dog weigh?

labrador retriever 130lbs... gabapentin 300mg 2 pills twice a day... galliprant 60mg, 2 pills once a day

Thank you again. Just wanted to double check and make sure the dosing was correct and in the safe range for each individual medication. They are. Yes, it is safe to give both medications at once. Galliprant is a newer anti-inflammatory medication for arthritis in dogs, safe and well tolerated. Gabapentin is an anti-seizure medication, but when used in low doses helps relieve pain. Veterinarians often use gabapentin together with galliprant to provide even better pain control from arthritis. They are safe to start together tonight. I would then double check by calling your vet tomorrow when the office opens again.

Any other questions I can help with?

Good answer, one i expected but wanted to be sure, one more question.. better to give galliprant tonight on relatively empty stomach or in morning with meal?

No need to be given with food, I would give it tonight so that it will kick in overnight and be in full effect by the morning when your dog wakes up.

I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD