Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I love my job working as a social worker, but my shift is…

Customer Question
Hello! I love my...

Hello! I love my job working as a social worker, but my shift is 4:30AM-12:30PM and I often struggle with the hours. I've read the diagnosis and think I may have shift worker syndrome and may benefit from small dose of Provigil but am not sure which Doctor to see in Tucson, Arizona, for this.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Sleepy when I should be awake, and the opposite; poor concentration, lack of energy, among other things. I exercise and practice yoga and eat healthy, but the sleep not in order.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don't think so

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Medical
3/29/2018
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 29 days ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including sleep disorders, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health as you have described above related to your sleep and wakefulness cycle. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Yes I concur with you, the description you have provided above indicates you are suffering from shift work sleep disorder or syndrome

This is common with individual who have to work during the hours that overlap with typical sleeping time and causes circadian rhythm sleep disorder resulting in symptoms such as excessive sleepiness at work and various other forms of sleep disturbances.

But this can be treated and there are medications available too.

For example, as you have also put correctly, wakefulness & alertness promoting agents such as Provigil (Modafinil) can help with this sleep disorder

It can help you during the wakefulness hours and improve your wakefulness & alertness, make you less sleepy or not sleepy, and since you become less and less sleepy during the work hours so when your sleep time arrives you will get sound sleep too

So trying meds such as Provigil is a prudent decision

In this regard please try to see a neurologist in the clinic

Neurologists are the specialists mainly involved with the diagnosis and management of various forms of sleep disorders including shift work sleep disorder too

So if you see a neurologist then you can receive a thorough evaluation in the clinic and also a prescription for Provigil too

Provigil usually comes as Tablets 100, 200 mg, the standard starting dose is 100 to 200 mg before your workhours start, the dose may be increased up to about 400 mg per day if required.

Overall this medication is tolerated very well without any major or serious side effects too.

If you have a primary care dr then you may ask them to arrange for a neurology referral. Some insurance companies do not require any referrals and patients are able to see a specialist dr such as neurologist directly without referral too, but it will depend upon your health insurance carrier. If you are going through your primary care dr then they will know who are the best neurologists in and around the area where you live and they will only arrange for the referral, but if you are trying to see a neurologist by yourself then you may try to find out a list of neurologists in and around your area through the following web links;

http://www.ucomparehealthcare.com/search?specialty=Neurology&city_state=Tucson,%20AZ

https://www.vitals.com/search?query=neurology&city_state=Tucson,%20AZ&latLng=32.227832,-110.943959

https://www.healthgrades.com/usearch?what=Neurology&entityCode=PS534&searchType=PracticingSpeciality&spec=28&where=Tucson%2C%20AZ&pt=32.221743%2C%20-110.926479&pageNum=1&highlight=Neurology&type=Specialty&isRollup=true&id=0.2957847229111812&source=Solr&city=Tucson&state=AZ

These above mentioned are the links for some famous and very helpful web sites that can be used in searching any dr of any specialty in any region of USA including neurologists in and around Tucson, Arizona too.

To summarize once again, yes I concur with you, it does sound like you are suffering from shift work sleep disorder and this condition can be treated properly and in this regard I also concur with you using Provigil is a prudent decision now and it can help you with improving your wakefulness & alertness during work hours, also improve your concentration, energy levels, and also can help you in improving your sleep too, so trying this medication is a prudent decision and in this regard you may try to see a neurologist, and as mentioned earlier above either your primary care dr can help you with setting up an appointment with a neurologist or if your insurance allows then you may try to set up the appointment yourself too, and if required you may also try to use the above mentioned search web sites too to find a neurologist of your choice in and around your area, and also once again please see shift worker syndrome can be treated successfully with appropriate treatments such as using Provigil etc as mentioned above, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & professional effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now will not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

For future questions you can follow up either here, or you can reach me directly with "a question for Dr Subbanna MD" through my Just Answer direct link mentioned below here;

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsubbannamd

Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 28 days ago

Hi, I see you have not yet rated my answer, is it because you are not satisfied with the above answer, or is it due to some technical glitches? If you are not satisfied and if you are still looking for more information please let me know and I will be very glad to continue assisting you as long as you need my services, and until you are fully satisfied. On the otherhand if rating was not done due to any technical glitches preventing you from rating please let me know and I can bring this to the notice of the company and they can help in fixing this glitch.

Please let me know.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)