Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Vertigo. Caused by some crystals disloged in the ear. What…

Vertigo. Caused by some...

Vertigo. Caused by some crystals disloged in the ear. What kind of therapy would work?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

No colds or flu. About a month or more, but has increased recently and he is taking Antivert pills. He is a retired pharmacist so I don't think I spelled the meds correctly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I took him to emergency last week to have full testing and he will see his primary internal physician April 3. Nothing popped up with his tests but my cardiogist said there is therapy for the condition. Our son is an Orthopedic Surgeon and he is trying to find a therapist who is familiar with Vertigo. We would like to start therapy soon.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

It sounds like you have something called benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, better known as BPPV. The treatment for this is something called the Epley maneuver, which you can look up on YouTube to see how to perform it. If you can, it would be good to see an ENT or a neurologist to help definitively diagnose the issue. Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
I memorized your procedure and even bought a neck brace. We had an appointment with our primary care physician. He being a DO knew the procedure, did it on my husband; therefore he knows which ear was causing the problem. He went out of the room and came back giving us a paper that showed us how to do the Modified Epley procedure. We have to do it three times a day until there is no more dizziness. No need of a neck brace. Therefore what you did and showed by video was the highest rating from us. There is very little Vertigo after two days. Thanks--Mr & Mrs Dean Recknagel

My pleasure! I am glad I could help.