Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

First I want to thank you dr. for your patience with my

First I want to thank...
First I want to thank you dr. Han for your patience with my questions.i got good results. No cancer on the cscan. No fluids around the pancreas either. This all started when I did a blood tests and it showed I had high lipase. Did the test again a week later and it showed it was double. 300 to 600. She did another blood test this morning and said it was down a bit. She still does not know why the lipase is up she Said she sending me for some kind of scan to see if ducts are narrowing naturally. Do you have any idea why the lipase is up?? I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you
3/28/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello again and thank you for requesting me. That's excellent news, I'm very happy to hear that your CT scan was normal. Sounds like your doctor is planning on what is called a HIDA scan. This is a logical choice as it will be able to image the bile ducts and entire biliary tree from the liver/gall bladder down to the small intestine where it meets the pancreatic duct to see if there is any sort of narrowing or blockage. An isolated lipase doubling is certainly abnormal and implies pancreatitis, so I'm glad to hear your doctor is being so thorough, methodical and logical, you are in very good hands. An isolated lipase elevation, i.e. pancreatitis can happen due to gall stones, but there are many other reasons too, each being evaluated and eliminated one at a time by your doctor and all her testing. Sometimes high calcium can do it, or medications, or blunt abdominal trauma, or excessive alcohol use, or even something as esoteric as a scorpion sting! At the end of the day, sometimes we as doctors do not find a discernible cause, however we treat the pancreatitis with IV fluids, digestive system rest (i.e. not eating or drinking anything for a while) pain killers, and time. Once the numbers come down and you feel better, you should be good to go for discharge. Please be patient and trust that from my perspective your doctor is giving you excellent care and you are in the best possible place for your condition.

Any other questions I can help you with today?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
As long it is not cancer I am happy. She told there is no cancer
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD