Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got tested cpl days ago,, for stds. Everything came

I got tested cpl...

I got tested cpl days ago,, for stds. Everything came negative (10) except hsv1 n hsv2.. im confused what shuld i do

Doctor's Assistant: When did the STD begin? Have you used any medication for it?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen an OB/GYN about the STD?

I dont have any outbreaks ,,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Its just once in a while i take std tsts to be clean

3/28/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Do you have the actual numeric result for the HSV1 and HSV2 tests?

If so, what are the numeric results?

My main main concern are my kids 10 n 12 n my wife!!! So im not doing anything before i get answears about there safety
Hey doc. Yes i do ,, there are some numbers

What are the numbers?

Give me a minut so i can log in to my account

OK. Whenever you can is fine.

Negative 0.91
Positive 1.09
On both hsv1 hsv2

That is the reference range. There should also be numbers for your personal results, which would be a single number for each virus.

If it possible for you to attach the lab report (after blocking out your name), then I can directly interpret it for you.

Ok let me check
U got the file?
Its 1.44 for hsv1
1.20 for hsv2

OK, that is what is needed to have a proper discussion, but typing the answer will take some time, and i will post it once it is complete.

Ok doc thank u. Just as i said my MAIN CONCERNS ARE MY KIDS AND WIFE!
Tell me what can i do for preventing anything to harm them
I also want to ad, about 20 yrs ago i had some things on my genital, i think doctr told me it may be herpes, wich disapered after a week when he gave me medication to drink and to put on my penis. I dont have any open outbreaks since. Non to remember

Before addressing your question about what you should do, let me first provide some general information.

HSV1 and HSV2 are common viruses. The HSV1 usually cause an oral infection and the HSV2 usually causes a genital infection, but either virus can infect the other location. Blood tests do not tell us where someone is infected, only whether there are antibodies to the virus. If someone is having symptoms, then the location of the infection is clear, but in someone with no symptoms, the location of the infection cannot be known.

The single episode 20 years ago is questionable, since HSV infections tend to be recurrent. It is true that HSV1 genital infections typically are far less severe than HSV2 genital infections, but a single episode of a questionable lesion is not indicative of herpes.

However, this blood test is not a perfect test. In fact, when the result is a mildly positive result, such as in your case, there is a high incidence of false positives. If someone is having symptoms and a mildly positive result, then it is a reliable test. But in someone with no symptoms, a mildly positive result may be a false positive.

For comparison, a high positive result would be a numeric result > 3.5. If your numeric results were above 3.5, even without symptoms, then false positives would be unusual.

There are a couple of additional tests that are more accurate that can be done to determine whether these results are a false positive or a true positive. The test that I typically order is a Western Blot test, but there are other tests that can be done by your doctor or lab.

So, the first thing that you should do is pursue further testing to ascertain whether you are truly infected.

As for your wife and kids, there would only need to be any consideration if you are found to be truly positive. If you are found to be truly positive, then the recommendation regarding precautions would be different for HSV1 and HSV2.

For HSV1, which usually causes an oral infection, the primary precaution is avoid sharing anything that contacts the mouth and lips, such eating utensils, lip balm, razors, etc. If someone has symptoms, then you also should avoid direct contact when a sore is present, such as kissing, but it is impractical to avoid contact at all times. It is also important to note that most people are positive for HSV1, so everyone in your family is being exposed to people with positive HSV1 antibodies every day.

For HSV2, which usually causes a genital infection, then there are some interventions that can reduce the risk of transmission to your wife. If you were having symptoms, then avoiding sex when symptoms are present would be appropriate. There are antiviral medicines that suppress the virus and reduce the risk of transmission on days when there are no symptoms. Condoms also reduce the risk of transmission, although condoms do not work as well for HSV2 as for most STDs, because condoms only cover a limited amount of genital skin.

In summary, then, the first thing you should do is perform further evaluation, either with a Western Blot test or similarly accurate test.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Thank u doc! U just gave me breathing room. Thank u for all your answears ill order the tests that u recomended. So just to be clear about how this virus so common. Its very right? I did some online research too , before i contacted you guys. It was the same its very common virus wich most people get during there life..
ok doc so ill order that test n i may chat with u after that (if it confirms positive)
Thank u again!

Both are common and HSV1 is very common. The studies show that most people are positive for HSV1, and most people are positive by early adulthood, not just throughout their lifetime. It is impossible for someone to completely avoid contact with people that are positive for HSV1, even as children, as children also frequently get infected with HSV1 and it does not require intimate kissing to be spread. It certainly can be spread by kissing, but kissing is not required. The type of contact that occurs with playing can transmit the virus.

If we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hey Dr im little confused about the western blot test u recomended me. Where excacly i can get that test,? Is it some home kit that i have to order,, or got to go lab places ti get tested. Thank u

It cannot be done at home. It probably also is not done in your local lab (depending upon where you live). The local lab may need to send the specimen to a specialized lab. But it can be drawn at your doctor's office or a local lab, and then the specimen is sent to the specialized lab that can perform the test.

where do i start? Call the labs? And also is it possible to keep it conidential and private ? Cause i dont want my records go public or insurance files,, specialy when its not even confirmed if its positive ! Thank u

The usual method is to get the same doctor that ordered the general STD tests and the initial herpes antibody tests to order the herpes Western Blot test.

All medical testing is confidential and private. There are certain infection that a doctor or lab is required to report to public health authorities, but herpes is not one of these infections. Other STDs, such as HIV, gonorrhea, and chlamydia are conditions that are reported, but herpes is not.

However, if you want to keep it separate and outside any insurance, it is fine to contact the local lab directly and request it, so that it will not be your doctor's file. If you contact the local lab directly, you need to request a herpes Western Blot test. The Western Blot test is a test method and can be used for many different infections besides herpes, such as HIV or Lyme disease. The Western Blot test for herpes is what should be requested, not just a Western Blot test.

Ok thank u dr

You are very welcome.

Hey dr how are u? I like to ask u if any other tests u would recommend me to take. Because almost nowhere taking that Western Blot Herpes tests

As I said above, there are a couple of additional tests that are more accurate that can be done to determine whether these results are a false positive or a true positive. I prefer the Western Blot, because it is considered the gold standard. But if the labs in your community do not offer the Western Blot, then you need to ask the lab what they offer as an alternative to the Western Blot test.