Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do hormones cause pain? I've been having abdominal lower…

Do hormones cause pain? I've...
Do hormones cause pain? I've been having abdominal lower abdominal pain for 3 months now I've been checked out by GI doc gynecologist neurologist primary care doctor had several blood test and an abdominal CT scan and everything comes back negative do you have any suggestions as to options to pursue next?
3/29/2018
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

How old are you?

Do you get regular periods? When did you get your last period?

Do you have any backpain?

Im 44. No period for 3 months...last one january 6. Yes extreme back pain! Level 10+. Been.to every doc I can.think of..had u/s...had ct scan..all come back normal but I have excruciating pain! Thank.you for your response.

Thank you for your reply.

Back pain with abdominal pain is one of the symptoms of pressure on spinal nerves. The spinal nerves can be compressed or pinched when there is prolapse of the spinal disc or arthritis of the spinal bones or conditions like spinal stenosis and ankylosing spondylitis ( a type of arthritis).

The pain from the nerves can radiate forwards to the abdomen and can appear to originate in the abdomen , rather than the back.

Please ask your doctor to order an MRI of the spine - an MRI is a better diagnostic tool than a Ct scan.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Thank you so much for this reply! For some reason, my doctors are reluctant to order the MRI but I'm going to fight for it. I believe you may have the right answer! What state are you located in? I definately believe it is coming from the back now with this new information. Thanks again!
Hello Dr. Mazumdar:
I have contact PCP, integractive doc and functional doc who are STILL reluctant to run the MRI...is there a specific specialist I need to see to have this testing done? I have spoken to my insurance company, who said it would be approved as long as the doctor wrote medical necessary on the order...but thought I'd ask if I need to pursue another channel. Your wisdom and response is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Please consult an orthopedic specialist for your back pain - he/she will probably be more ready to order an MRI.

Thanks.

Thank you. I have done as you suggested. I'll be sure to reach out if I have any further questions. Thanks so much for your time!

You are welcome.

To further followup...I wanted to ask, would this type of back pain also at times feel like pressure in the pelvic region/bladder area and cause me to feel urgency to urinate? I'm trying to put everything together for when I speak to the orthopedist and just wanted to know if that goes along with it? Sometimes my groin area and upper thighs feel heavy pressure, I'm assuming due to the lower back muscle pain? I appreciate any thoughts you might have on this? Thanks again.

Pressure in the pelvic region and upper thighs can occur if there is pressure on the nerves arising from the spinal cord in the lower back. This is possible and you do need to mention it to your doctor.