Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How many of these can I take to get rid of heart burn?

second opinion] How many of...
second opinion] How many of these can I take to get rid of heart burn?
3/28/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Hidroclorotiazida (hydrochlorothiazide in English, or HCTZ) is usually not used to treat heartburn. It is most often used to treat hypertension, and the maximal dose is 50 mg per day, which would be two of these pills. It is a diuretic and can also be used to treat edema (swelling), and when used to treat edema, the maximal dose is 100 mg per day, which would be 4 of these pills.

If someone is having edema that is contributing to heartburn, then your doctor may prescribe the HCTZ to relieve the edema, but it is not direct treatment of the heartburn. In that setting, the maximal dose would be 100 mg per day, which would be 4 of these pills.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Swelling like gout?

No. Swelling from gout is due to inflammation. The only swelling that is helped with HCTZ is swelling due to fluid retention.

Actually, HCTZ may be a problem for someone with gout, because it may increase the uric acid level. If the uric acid is well controlled, your doctor may still consider the use of HCTZ, but doctors would otherwise be cautious about using HCTZ in someone with gout.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Thanks!
How long (days) should one take that medication for edema?

There is no limit. In reality, it depends upon the underlying cause of the edema. There are some causes of edema that are chronic problems, so the person may need to be on a diuretic indefinitely. But if the underlying cause of the edema can be separately treated or resolves spontaneously, then the diuretic would only be needed until the edema improves.