Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 14 he has common variable immune deficiency and…

My son is 14 he...
My son is 14 he has common variable immune deficiency and has to have monthly ivig treatment. They pre medicate him with Benadryl 25mg iv (down from 50mg which was too strong) and Tylenol 500mg. His blood pressure the last few treatments has gotten extremely low. As a result they want to take him off Benadryl? It seems to me it’s a reaction to the immunoglobulins being infused but they are blaming Benadryl. Concerned that after 3 years of treatment they want to stop premedicating him with the Benadryl which is suppose to stop a potential allergic reaction. Thoughts? Looking for second opinion. His Bp started at 115/64 and is now 90/30 and last several readings have been similar to that.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I agree.

I don't think it is the benadryl causing the low blood pressure.

I think it is most likely the IVIG infusion dropping his blood pressure.

he may need to increase his salt intake in his diet to get his blood pressure up.

They are giving him one bolus before treatment and now stopped treatment and giving him another one before they restart. We are literally in the hospital right now.
IV fluid bolus before IVIG infusions can help keep his blood pressure up
That happened and happens every time. But because so low now they are adding another bolus and taking him off Benadryl for pre-medication or any allergy symptoms. Just blaming it all on Benadryl don’t thing they are seeing bigger picture. Benadryl was at 12 and 1230 reading was fine but ivig started right after like at 1245pm and 1pm reading was low and has been as they take every 15 minutes. I’m just concerned about side effects and anaphylactic shock next month when he takes the ivig without pre meds. Is there anything I can do here?
Try to see if you can salt his foods a bit more to get more sodium into him. And see if he can drink more water and fluids to prevent dehydration which can drop his blood pressure. let me know if you have other questions. If done for now please leave positive feedback below. You can always reach me as Dr David. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Ummm he has salted food and drinks at least 6 -16oz bottles of water a day but ok.
Why did you leave negative feedback?
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Accident
However rude to ask
It’s my prerogative what to rate you
Thanks

thanks.