Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been sick for three days. I am pretty sure I have the…

I have been sick...

I have been sick for three days. I am pretty sure I have the flu. Will it do any good to go get officially diagnosed. I have been getting lots of rest, have been drinking lots of fluids and taking ibuprofen for the fever. My fever is gone. I feel better but just don't have any energy. Is there something else I should do.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

I had a fever for about a day. I have no respiratory systems. I can breathe fine and the coughing has gone away.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. Not really. I hardly ever get sick.

3/28/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Are you having any bodyaches or diarrhea?

Mild body aches. No diarrhea.

The flu typically takes 5-10 days to go away, depending on the viral load one gets and one's overall health. It sounds like you may be turning the corner already. You are doing everything right in terms of taking care of yourself. The main benefits of being seen and getting tested are knowing what type of influenza you might have (and what kind of risk you pose to family members and co-workers, etc) and getting on tamiflu if positive (which shortens the course of the illness and the period of infectivity.)

at this point going to the doctor will probably not change anything. Will Tamiflu help any at this point.

The main benefits of tamiflu occur when started within 72 hours of symptom onset. Because you are outside this window, it may not help. Public health authorities are advising using it after 72 hours if there is increased risk of complications. In your case, I don't sense there is increased risk, though I obviously do not know your entire medical history.

Ok. Thank you.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor