Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have a question related to toe tingling/possible diabetes.

Have a question related...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I have appointments for next week but I'm very distressed about this. No meds, very very healthy in general.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

None, no

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I have no family history of anything notable (not even diabetes) and no other signs. No increased thirst or urination or anything. I feel VERY healthy and the toe thing isn't bad at all, wouldn't even register as a 1 on the pain scale. But I have some of the diabetes risk factors (obesity, smoking, kinda sedentary).

3/28/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Please go ahead with your query

OK, I have no family history of diabetes and no classic symptoms (thirst, urination, etc). But I do have some risk factors (overweight, smoker, fairly sedentary). Over the past few weeks I've noticed VERY mild tingling and occasionally a VERY mild burning in 3 or 4 toes on my left foot ONLY. Nothing in my arms, hands, or feet, just very mild sensations in the toes. They last from 5-30 seconds or so and happen 2-3 times a day. I can barely feel them at all. Is it fairly common for diabetic neuropathy to affect only a few toes on only one side? Or is it almost always bilateral, constant, and painful?
Sorry, I'm 34 years old.

Thanks for the additional information. Well diabetic peripheral neuropathy would generally affect both limbs equally ,be more constant ( although more noticeable at night) , and usually burning in nature . It starts from feet and ascends upwards . It takes 5-10 years atleast for nerves to get involved by which time other end organs like eyes and kidneys should also be affected . So with no other symptoms and isolated transient burning in toes on one side i would say its most likely to be due to some other cause ,not diabetes.

Thanks. The burning, when it happens, is very slight, usually comes when I'm leaning on that foot on a hardwood floor. That's just never really happened to me prior to the last month or so. The numbness is also mild, just seems my limbs are falling asleep faster from cold air or pressure than they used to.

It could be due to local nerve compression or sensory neuropathy due to some other cause ( there is a long list actually ) .Sometimes there is no identifiable cause. The best way to diagnose it would be complete neurological sensory system examination by your doctor . If it all he finds something significant he can refer you to a neurologist or order a nerve conduction test ( EMG / NCS) .

However with your symptoms being very mild its a good idea to give a trial of treatment ( with nerve medicine like pregabalin ) rather then going for aggressive investigation process.

Vitamin B12 is also essential for nerve health so you may add it to your supplement box too .

Hopeit helps

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
I've scheduled a podiatry exam for next week. Is that a decent next step? I was told they would test for neuropathy that day.

Yes its a good idea that .