Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My left knee has had a swollen spot on the upper right side…

My left knee has...

My left knee has had a swollen spot on the upper right side for the last few months. Now the whole knee has swollen more. The swelling is now also in my thigh. I don't have pain in it. I have had the right knee successfully replaced at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Florida. I do have rheumatoid arthritis and I'm taking Placwenel. Forgive my spelling. I am 71 years old and in good health and active. We are out of town now and I just wasn't sure what to dabout

Doctor's Assistant: When did arthritis begin? Have you used any medication for it?

Several years ago. I take Placwenel.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about arthritis?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did have an elbow replacement last May at the Mayo clinic

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Is the joint red or hot? Does it hurt when you bear weight on it?

No not red. No pain
It doesn't hurt not red

It may be an effusion. This is when fluid collects in the knee joint. Have you strained or injured the knee recently?

No

Is your RA under good control otherwise?

Im under Doctors care for the arthritis.

Fluid (synovial fluid) in the knee is usually in balance in terms of fluid production and fluid resorption, so we don't see or feel the fluid. When something disrupts this balance (trauma, strain, rheumatological conditions), fluid production can overcome resorption and lead to accumulation. If there is no inflammation or infection, the fluid may not hurt or get hot. I would suggest you rest the knee, elevate it whenever possible, wear a knee brace when upright, and try an anti-inflammatory medication such as alleve or advil so see if you can get some of the swelling to come down. If it progresses, becomes red or warm, or you develop fever, etc, be sure to have the knee examined right away.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Thank you so much. I will see my Dr. When we get home.