Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had 3x thyroid tests before this that came back normal. My…

I had 3x thyroid tests...
I had 3x thyroid tests before this that came back normal . My thyroid came back normal but this antibody came up. My c- protein also came in low. What does this mean. No lump felt in my thyroid as per the doctor
3/28/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow.

The thyroglobulin antibody is seen in Grave's disease and thyroiditis, but depending on your lab, this could be a minimally elevated level and may not have any meaning for you clinically. Have you been having symptoms?

C reactive protein, or CRP, is a measurement of inflammation, so in that sense, it can't be too low; it's high levels that indicate inflammation in your body; a low level, like a normal level, means there's not an inflammatory process in your body.

Do you have your other thyroid results? TSH, T4, T3?

Idk. I had an Acute case of Lyme disease I did 60 days antibiotics IV vitamin C with gluth push . I’m feeling better. I do still have the brain fog but I thought maybe that the Candida . The gluth push helped
C- protein
I pressed the doctor for the thyroid test because of the brain fog but I’m starting to feel better

OK, great. Your TSH is normal, which means you're neither chronically hypo or hyperthyroid. Your T3 and T4 are also normal, which are your levels of thyroid hormone. I think this argues for the anti-thyroid antibody being not clinically relevant, meaning that you thyroid seems to be normal.

Especially since your CRP is normal indicates no systemic inflammation, I am reassured.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Since I turned 40 I have been very paranoid and the Lyme didn’t help ( I live in NJ ) can this be any type of early cancer ? Your not going to freak me out , I want the truth. I would have a lump ?
I was ready to walk away from the roller coaster and tests of finding Lyme. And this came up. I want to go back to my yearly check ups. But i don’t want to blow it off

No, I don't think this in any way a sign of cancer. Thyroid cancer usually doesn't have elevations or decreases in hormones. Yes, a palpated lump would be worrisome for cancer, but in fact 50% of people have thyroid masses, and very very few of them are cancer.

I don't think you're at an increased risk for thyroid cancer at all, provided you have no family history of it, or any history of radiation exposure (normal X rays and CT scans don't count!)

Honestly, with a minimal elevation in that antibody without symptoms (I think it's reasonable to attribute your brain fog to your recent illness, and it's improving), I would not worry about it. I think it's perfectly fine to go back to yearly physicals.

Doctor Jennifer
Thank you so much !