Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why do they say no nail polish when you go into surgery?

What about plastic glue on...
Why do they say no nail polish when you go into surgery? What about plastic glue on nails? Is that ok?
3/28/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. Our pulse oximeters, which the anesthesiologists use to keep track of your oxygen levels and your pulse, use optical technology through your fingernails. So we need them clean! If you want, you can remove the polish on one finger on each hand, but sometimes the machine is finicky and we have to try other fingers. So ideally they'd all be free of polish so we could use any one of your fingers to monitor you.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

So no to the glue on nails also, unfortunately.

Any other pre-operative questions I can answer?

Doctor Jennifer