Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I haven,t moved my bowels in 4 days and i am hurtin g so…

Customer Question
I haven,t moved my...

I haven,t moved my bowels in 4 days and i am hurtin g so bad, what can i do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain started as i went to bed , about ten oclock. it doesnt change now i am going to be sick

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/28/2018
Doctor: Doctor Jennifer, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow. What have you tried so far?

Also, how old are you?

What medical conditions do you have?

What medications do you take?

i am 77. what can i do?

Well, there are several kinds of over the counter medications that work very well. If you're in a lot of pain, a dulcolax suppository and/or an enema is what I would start with. I would also recommend that you take miralax powder every day for the next week (unless you get diarrhea) to make sure things stay soft and easy.

Have you had this problem before?

Have you had a colonoscopy?

it is 425 in the morning. and i dont have any of those things

If you can't get to a pharmacy, or have those things delivered or have someone bring them to you, there are a few things that you can do at home that will help but aren't as effective.

Make sure you're well hydrated, so drink more water.

Sometimes with bad constipation a piece of poop gets dried out and stuck in the rectum and using your finger to try to break it up so it can pass helps a lot and allows everything else to pass. If there's nothing there when you put in a finger, then an enema would be my next step, but that will have to wait!

Are you nauseated also or vomiting?

Prune juice and fiber cereals, as well as coffee, also can help you have a bowel movement, but they usually take a few hours.

If you're really in a lot of pain, or if you feel nauseated or aren't able to eat or drink, I would really consider going to the ER. They can help with the rectal exam for blocked poop and also give you an enema.

I see that you're requesting a phone call, but the system says that your payment method isn't working? Is it hard to type?

We can still type even if a phone call doesn't work.