Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been very distressed over if I have HIV or not. I had…

I've been very distressed...

I've been very distressed over if I have HIV or not

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

No. I had unprotected sex with a female earlier this month. I think it was the 8th. I panicked and got a test 7 days later. 7 days later I got a call saying it was all negative. Gonerrhea rna, syphilis rna... negative. I panicked again and did another test yesterday at Care South where they give you your results in ten minutes. I was HIV negative but I'm waiting for the rest of my results

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about HIV?

I haven't been sleeping good or none at all. I'm weak. Having been eating. I know I'm having random anxiety attacks. My blood pressure went up. But I haven't been checking it that good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The doctor is now aware I have high blood pressure. I have told them that I may get anxiety attacks at times

3/28/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Actually, if you have had a negative HIV test after 20 days of exposure then it is less likely that you are HIV. Ideally, you should have gotten an HIV RNA PCR test done which is accurate after 10 days of exposure and would have excluded HIV quite easily.

If you got a 4th or 5th generation test done yesterday then you would need to get the repeated at 12 weeks after exposure for a 100% exclusion of HIV. The symptoms which you have described are more in line with anxiety which can cause all of these symptoms.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
It was an HIV rapid result test. They took a blood and urine test. My lymph nodes in my left jawline swelled. I do feel tingly in my legs. There's discomfort in my abdomen and back. There feels like a knot is in my throat and I did feel nauseated a twice before eating something

Then I think you should get an HIV RNA PCR test done right now and if it is negative, confirm the findings with a test after 12 weeks with a 4th generation test. An HIV rapid test is a 3rd generation test which has an accuracy of about 86-88% at 21 days after exposure which is why you do need additional tests to get HIV excluded conclusively.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
In your honest opinion, what do you think my status is...

I think you are likely to be negative because most patients at around this time would even show up on a rapid test, the additional is a safety precaution. However most patients would produce antibodies by 3 weeks post exposure and thus have a positive test. That is why i think you are likely to be negative HOWEVER 100% confirmation is necessary regardless.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you sir. I feel a bit more at ease. The
whole ordeal has made me more than aware of HIV and it's testing

Just try to hang in there, get tested and once it comes back as negative, you can put this behind you and move on with your life.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor