Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I travel a lot and being 66 makes it somewhat tougher. Do…

Customer Question
I travel a lot...

I travel a lot and being 66 makes it somewhat tougher. Do you prefer Ambien time release over Ada van

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I speak with my doctor a lot I only use these medications on long exhausting trips. I believe she is going to try thr time released ambien and see how that goes. She also has me on Adderall but I was hoping for something that would act a little quicker

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No I do not have any allergies

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I did have hep C from a blood infusion but everything’s seems to be back to normal.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your sleep issues. Actually, if the major problem is falling asleep after traveling extensively, then a better option would be a rapidly acting medication. Even the normal ambien would be a better option rather than the time released one or if necessary short-acting Ativan or even Klonopin can be used to induce sleep in some cases.

Additionally, you do have some OTC options which can help you in falling asleep such as,

OTC valerian root which acts like benzodiazepines

OTC melatonin which is a naturally occurring protein in the body and is not addictive in nature

OTC Benadryl

OTC doxylamine

These drugs can be used if your doctor is not willing to go for Ativan or even the normal form of Ambien. The time-released Ambien does work but as the name indicates it is slower in onset and it can take some time for you to fall asleep. Also in order for you to fall asleep on time, you would need to take it at least a couple of hours before your planned bedtime.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What are you thoughts on Adderall. I don’t take them often just on long business trips. Can you recommend anything bettr

Adderall should not be used for sleep alone, if there is another underlying cause for which it is used then it can be considered. But as a sleep adjunct alone it is not a good option. Ideally, for sleep-related issues, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax or even dormicum can be considered. But I always recommend nonbenzodiazepine drugs like Lunesta, Rozerem, and ambien to begin with (the rapid-acting varieties rather than time released ones) as they act rapidly and are not addictive as well.

Do you have any more questions?

I don’t feel like any kind f my problems were solved. Thanks anyways

Ok ill opt out and let other experts answer you.