Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had 5 bypasses July 2017. I think I may be going in and…

I had 5 bypasses...

I had 5 bypasses July 2017. I think I may be going in and out of A-fib. Pulse fluctuating from low 30s to mid 70s . Short of breath ( nor non stop ), and bp. From 176/108 to 134/82

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

Fluctuating

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have type 2 diabetes

3/28/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually fluctuating heart rate of this sort with a raised blood pressure can be indicative of various irregular heart rhythms and not just atrial fibrillation. Usually atrial fibrillation would cause a rapid heart rate in excess of 100 beats per min, in your situation the heart rate is on the lower side, it is possible that you could have devloped a heart block which is a condition in which there is obstruction to the conduction of electrical current in the heart. This would need an immediate EKG to be diagnosed and depending on the degree of the block, a pacemaker may be needed.

Another cause of this could be premature ventricular contractions which can cause normal heart rate monitors to falsely read the heart rate as being very slow which is why again an EKG would be necessary in this case.

There are various rhythm abnormalities which could be causing the problem here, but the fact that you do have a history of heart disease and diabetes and the blood pressure is also on the high side means that you should be evaluated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE in the ER with an EKG. I would strongly suggest that you visit the ER as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali