Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has had a crick in neck for 3 days Pain to point of…

Customer Question
My wife has had...

My wife has had a crick in neck for 3 days Pain to point of crying. Now it hurts to swallow. Feels swollen behind ears. She is 50 yrs old. She normally has a pretty high threshold for pain. She can't sleep and is crying with pain.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

3 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No tingling or numbness In good health other wise

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's symptoms. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, the presence of severe pain in the back of the neck along with difficulty ins wallowing could be an indication of a severe muscle spasm in the neck muscles. This would also give the swollen sensation as well. In most cases, this can be due to dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance in which case drinking an increased amount of plain water along with electrolyte-rich fluids like Gatorade would be useful. Using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 800 mg thrice daily along with topical application of OTC capsaicin gel. Application of heat on the area for 10-15 minutes 4-5 times a day would also help. Additionally since she cant sleep, using OTC Benadryl would help complement the effects of ibuprofen and allow her to fall asleep as well.

If the pain does not settle down even with the above measures then she should immediately be evaluated in the ER with an x-ray of the cervical spine and an MRI to rule out spinal issues. Secondly, if the pain does improve you should still have her evaluated by visiting the doctor in the morning to be on the safe side.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.