Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m trying to get pregnant I got my last shot in January and…

Customer Question
Hello I’m trying to...

Hello I’m trying to get pregnant I got my last shot in January and won’t be taking another one but I’ve always had break through bleeding and periods on the shot but this time I’m having a heavy flow Normal period but i don’t know if I’m ovulating and why I’m not releasing any eggs

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

No just little cramps I guess you can call it and I wouldn’t say they’re regular it’s spotting or maybe 2-3 days but this one it was the beginning of March heavy and then stopped the 17 and then started back again last Saturday

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mother’s side is diabetic and some have cancer and my dads side has asthma

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

Birth control shots contain high level of progesterone which prevent ovulation and pregnancy. But they can cause breakthrough bleeding.

Sometimes, the level of progesterone can fall sharply when another shot become due and this can lead to an episode of heavier bleeding. There may also be irregular bleeding in the first 3 months after stopping the shot since the effect of the shot an take up to 3 months to go and for a normal menstrual cycle to occur.

Ovulation can also be irregular during this time.

In your case, you are probably going through a period of hormonal imbalance after stopping the shot. this will settle down in the next 1-2 months and you will get regular periods with regular ovulation.

You can wait for the next few months or you can consult an obgyn for medicines to regularize your periods and also for medicines to stimulate your ovaries to ovulate.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.