Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I been trying to lose weight. I would like to know if the…

Customer Question
I been trying to...

I been trying to lose weight. I would like to know if the doctor will prescribe phentermine?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Yes. I was taking phentermine. Unfortunately the doctor who prescribed it he moved out of state

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last doctor visit? What did you discuss?

I saw him about 7 months ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I’m very healthy, I lost 30 pounds already I’m at 148. And im stuck I excersise every day

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/28/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 4-5 minutes.

Hello
I’m waiting for your answer

Please give me couple of minutes more.

Following over the counter medications are suppose to be effective for the weight loss with the measures you may be already doing (exercises and dietary cautions);

1) Alli; it decreases fat absorption in the body.
2) Conjugated linoleic acid; it decreases body fat.

Weight loss pills usually work in following ways;

1) boosting the body's basal metabolic rate,
2) blocking the absorption of dietary fat,
3) suppressing appetite.

These are the other over the counter herbs / supplements which have inadequate evidences of efficacy;

1) Green tea extract

2) Guar gum

3) Chitosan

4) Hoodia

5) Chromium

6) Bitter orange

There are prescription medications too which your doctor may recommend;

a) Phentermine is US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved for short-term (up to 12 weeks) treatment of obesity and is the most widely prescribed weight-loss drug.

b) Diethylpropion

c) Benzphetamine and Phendimetrazine

d) Orlistat is currently available as a prescription drug (Xenical 120 mg) or an over-the-counter weight loss supplement (Alli 60 mg).

The weight loss pills can have some significant side effects in individuals and they can best be used as;

1) Adjunct to the other measures like diet and exercises.
2) They should be used as short term measures.

The weight loss management is a long term management as diabetes and high blood pressure so one need to take continuous precautions to continue weight loss and prevent weight gain (as you know). The treatment of obesity is built on the core pyramid of diet, exercise, and lifestyle change. Diet has always been central to the study of nutrition. So you should also consult a nutritional specialist and endocrinologist (if not yet done). Here is an article written by a doctor for treating his own obesity;

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749483_4

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Are you saying you can’t prescribe?

Online prescription is illegal and malpractice.

We cannot prescribe without examining personally.

Why the person who answer my question didn’t tell me that.

I am sorry for it, but you may consider speaking to customer care.