Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

This was submitted for a second opinion but was closed

second opinion] This was submitted...
second opinion] This was submitted for a second opinion but was closed because the expert who grabbed it never responded. So, my question is: My husband’s morning faster blood sugar has been around 95 for several years, which we realize is pre-diabetic. However, recently it has been 125-145 in the mornings. What can he do to lower it? He’s been really watching his simple carb intake. If he wakes up during the night, he’ll test it then and it’s less than 100. This is after approximately five hours of sleep. Two hours after a meal, his blood sugar is around 100-115,so that seems ok. He has never had a low blood sugar reading. He is 52 years old, 6’ and 175 lbs, so weight is not an issue. He is also moderately physically active. Please give me your advice on his high morning blood sugar readings. Thanks.
3/28/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

The next step for him would be to do a Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) test. This test will show his average blood sugar level in the past few months. If the glycated hemoglobin level is increased then it is likely that he has developed diabetes. In those with diabetes dietary therapy and exercise is very beneficial. However, some individuals with diabetes will require oral medications to control their blood glucose level. So, with this recent elevation of blood sugar, he should get the glycated hemoglobin test done. Based on the result of HbA1c test further action and management plan can be recommended.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you!

Why would it be normal in the middle of the night and high in the morning when all he’s done is sleep longer?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

This is because of dawn phenomenon that causes an increase in blood sugar in the morning due to a release of hormones in the body in the morning. This is normal and occurs in everyone but can be controlled by the normal release of insulin. But in those suffering from diabetes, this normal regulation in the morning is impaired due to inadequate insulin action leading to a high sugar level in the morning.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5 stars.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor