Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My legs have been swollen during the day for a couple of…

My legs have been...

My legs have been swollen during the day for a couple of months. I'm a 70 year old male. If I get enough sleep, the swelling is reduced when I awaken. I usually don't get enough sleeps and my legs seem to be always large with tight skin. the lower part of my legs is reddish and sensitive along with dry flaking skin. I've been on a Cpap (religiously) for about 8 months. I'm taking Furosemide, 2 20 mg tablets/day, Lisinopril, 1 10 mg tablet/day, Cetirizine, 1 10 mg tablet/day, Pramipexole, 3 0.5 mg tablets/day (restless leg syndrum), Atorvastatin, 1 80 mg tablet/day, Niacin, 2 500 mg tablets/day, 1 325 mg aspirin/day and 1 multivitamin/day. I have a problem holding my urine, I'm pre-diabetic, very overweight, smoke cigars and get very little exercise. I've been able to stop smoking for brief periods (a few months), but I can't seem to lose any weight and I'm having trouble sleeping, getting up several times/night to urinate, then I can't back to sleep. I would exercise more, I actually was in pretty good shape most of my life, but my arthritis really hurts in my neck, elbows and sometimes my hips or shoulders. I have had each knee replaced,

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you notice any redness or scaling?

For about 4 months, yes to redness and scaling

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mother is living (92), my father died 30 years ago (heart attack), my brother (two years younger) passed away from blood cancer 210 years ago and I had a heart attack 20 years ago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

The swelling in your legs is likely due to venous congestion (less physical activity / more sitting) in day time, as it decreases by lying down.

You may get a colored doppler study of veins of lower limbs for it.

Swelling of legs on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I will do those things. I also take an antihistamine to help me get to sleep. Is there anything else I can do to sleep more?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm not going to call now, maybe another time. Do you have any suggestions for getting to sleep more?

You can take Melatonin or Valerian (both without prescription) for sleep.

Wishing you a speedy resolution.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for your help

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time with you.

Thanks a lot.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor