Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

About 7 weeks ago I had a sore throat with pus on my tonsils…

About 7 weeks ago I...
About 7 weeks ago I had a sore throat with pus on my tonsils with no other symptoms. I went to the doctor and was told it was not strep. Within the first week my throat was getting better on its own prior to the doctor visit. I was given antibiotics anyway but it did not do much as there was still pus on my tonsils with occasional soreness. I waited to see if it would just go away which is started to. A few days ago I became really tired and the lymph nodes in my neck became large and tender along with fevers. I went back and was re tested for strep (negative) and blood tests for mono. Turned out my vca-igm antibody was very high. Atypical lymphocytes also high as well with no elevation of WBC count. I was told I have mono. My question is, is what I was experiencing before with the onset of the sore throat over a month ago something separate from the mono I was just diagnosed with or was it the mono? I was concerned it could have possibly been a bacterial infection that never went away.
3/28/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

No this was classic mono.

I'm actually shocked they didn't test for it sooner

You had classic mono

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you, ***** ***** is possible that my symptoms became worse almost two months after that sore throat? I did not realize mono can get worse over that long period of time.

absolutely!

Mono can last for months

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers

If you have more questions, just reply. :)

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor