Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an IBS question. I have not seen a physician and am…

I have an IBS...

I have an IBS question.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not seen a physician and am on no medication. I need to explain though.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take no medication. I am allergic to no medication.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Let me explain about the IBS. That's just MY diagnosis. Here's the issue: I ate my homemade minestrone soup, which had garbanzo beans in it, for a few days in a row. About a few days after the last soup, i began getting symptoms of flatulence and very soft, unformed stools. Nothing explosive. The gas, however, did seem to have some stool in it. My QUESTION is this: Have I given myself IBS or is this simply a temporary situation? It does seem to have gotten better, but has not gone away totally.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Actually one doesn't give oneself IBS from, say, eating certain foods

This sounds like a viral gastroenteritis that will run it's course in another few days

For now I suggest oral probiotics and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day to help things along

Please let me know if you need any more information

Interesting you say viral. I recently got over a bout of a viral sinusitis. Could this be the tale end of that, or really just its own "-it is."?

Not the same virus and unrelated to your sinus problem

Thank you very much. $5 well spent. I am much relieved.
Oh, and thank you for the suggestions. I will act on them. Thanks again.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you